Higher Pursuits is located near Columbia, TN and offers a wide array of water based adventures. We provide kayak rentals, canoe rentals, paddling classes, and guided trips.
For 2021, we will continue the social distancing measures and equipment cleansing we implemented in 2020 until we receive notice through the state or CDC guidelines that these measures are no longer needed. Below is a summary of the measures we are taking to continue to protect our staff and customers from COVID-19:
- It is our goal to transport only your group in a vehicle.
- Bring a mask, neck gaiter, or bandana for each person in your group to wear while in the office and riding in our vehicles.
- Our staff will wear masks while riding in the vehicle with you or when in close proximity to customers.
- Our goal is to space groups out throughout the morning. If we have too many people in one timeslot, we may ask you to shift your reservation to a different time.
- We have a cleaning protocols in place for our buildings, equipment, lifejackets, and outhouses
- Make your reservation online. This limits your time in the office during check-in and allows us to monitor how many people are arriving at the canoe base.
- If you do not feel well, stay home. You will receive a refund or be able to reschedule.
- If you know you have been exposed to someone with COVID-19, stay home, you will receive a refund or be able to reschedule.
- If you are considered part of a vulnerable population (elderly, heath conditions that increase risk) please wait to join us later in the summer.
In 1998, Higher Pursuits started providing teambuilding programs in Middle Tennessee as well as guided canoe trips. In 2009, as the economy shifted we needed to reevaluate our business and expand our operation. At that time, we began building the canoe base and offering kayak and canoe rentals. We selected the Duck River because of it amazing diversity of wildlife and the beauty of the section of river that flows through Maury County. Our Higher Pursuits Canoe base started with a love for the river and a passion for paddling and then built from there.
Our goal is connect you with the natural wonder of the river while providing great service, quality equipment and a family friendly environment.
We offer a wide selection of kayaks as well as two-person kayaks and canoes. Customers can choose between a 5.5 mile route and an 8.5 mile route. Learn more about our paddling routes.
Where we offer trips:
The section of the Duck River that we operate on is part of the Duck River Blueway and is a state scenic river. The Duck River has something for everyone and can be enjoyed by novices, families, and experienced paddlers. It features historic mill sites and a great abundance of wildlife. Many paddlers are fortunate enough to see great blue herons, belted kingfishers, bald eagles, minks, beavers, muskrats and river otters. In the water there are over 100 species of fish and thousands of fresh water mussels. The Duck River is designated as a freshwater mussel sanctuary.
In addition to the rental operation, we also provide guided sunset paddles, wildlife exploration tours, and paddling instruction. We typically offer several kayak and canoe classes throughout the season.
Learn more about our:
We look forward to seeing you at the Higher Pursuits Duck River Canoe Base!